Monday, March 1, 2010

Learning Profile Activities

A Mockingbird lives in open country with thickets, farmland and desert brush. It breeds in northern California, eastern Nebraska , southern Ontario and Maritime Canada. It spends winters in the southern part of the range. It can only be found in residential areas, city parks, farmlands, open country.

I feel that Mockingbirds survive in Maycomb, because Maycome is considered the southern part of America. Maycomb also has the preferred habitat for the Mockingbird. This makes it even likely that Mockingbirds choose Maycomb over other areas to live in and breed. Most likely, there are orchards, where fruit trees can be found. There could also be brushes dense thickets in Maycomb.


I would want to be friends with Scout in the novel. I feel that she is very talented and that she " clicks " very well with her peers. She is also willing to stand up for her friends in times of difficulties. I would want to be Atticus in the movie. Atticus in the movie seems like a learned person and he is also very civilised. I like some of the points that he brought up during Tom Robinson's trial.




c) Diary Entry of Atticus

Today is Tom Robinson's trial. I went to the court to represent him as his lawyer. I tried my best in trying to convince the judge of his innocence. I should have known that in Maycomb, the anti-negro feeling is too strong. No matter how I tried to convince the judge, even with the most realistic evidence there is. The sequence of events that made the Ewells decide to bring this up to court. Just because Mayella Ewell broke a code of the white society does not mean that she can exchange a negro's life to ' clean ' herself of the so called ' sins ' .

In the middle of the trial, I was also alerted to the fact that Jem and Scout were actually in the courthouse. By the time I was alerted to this fact, half the trial had already gone by. Since they requested to hear the rest of the hearing, I relented. They also have a right to learn more about this society that they are living in, it is peppered with prejudice against the blacks. This is something that I cannot bring myself to understand, discrimination of skin colour.

*sigh* Well, feeling tired today, so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment